Double Master Tongji – TU Darmstadt in Materials Science and Engineering
The Double Master Tongji – TU Darmstadt in Materials Science and Engineering is research-based and builds on the competencies and skills acquired throughout a Bachelor degree course in Materials Science and Engineering (Tongji) or Materials Science (TUDa). BSc. graduates possess demonstrable study skills, basic grounding in both mathematics and sciences as well as a sound knowledge of the fundamentals of materials science, as taught during the BSc. degree course at both institutions. This M.Sc. program aims to enrich skills in Materials Science and qualify students to pursue a scientific career in all relevant fields.
- Develop the ability to study the subject in a broader context and establish an association between newly acquired knowledge and prior knowledge.
- Encourage students to adopt a creative approach to developing materials, products, processes or methods in an entirely new design or context.
- Train students to independently solve practical problems by applying research-based or scientific methods.
- Foster the ability and sovereignty to scrutinize assertions related to Materials Science and to confidently argue one's own standpoint in front of professional peers and non-professionals.
- Foster the aptitude to present a written or oral account of scientific results in an accurate and coherent manner.
- Develop the skill to structure complex problems taking into account criteria relevant to Materials Science, Materials Engineering and Ecology. This also includes economic issues
- specific to materials, e.g. manufacturing costs subject to the availability of raw materials and technology.
- Foster the ability to work with other diSciplines, i.e. to tackle problems posed by other disciplines while recognizing which scientific approach to adopt in order to solve the problem. This particularly applies to the inextricably interwoven nature of Materials Science and Materials Engineering.
- Pinpoint the social challenges and social consequences of a materials scientist's work while encouraging students to adopt a responsible attitude.
- Develop the capacity to set realistic yet demanding goals attainable within a reasonable time frame and involving reflection upon both the results and the respective approach.
- Develop intercultural competencies alongside the improved proficiency of the foreign language acquired abroad.
Study program general structure
The study program generally follows the structures of the Materials Science and Engineering and the Materials Science programs of both universities. The scientific study program is completely taught in English.
At Tongji Unive rsity, the students shall study according to the program “Master of Engineering”. The description of the study plan will be explained in the study module guide in 2018. The oversea students are required to take two courses including overview of China and Chinese. Teaching units at t he partner university replace teaching units at the home university as indicated in the list of teaching units below. The students will have to finish at least 1/2 credits required by Tongji University (for example: 30 credits for the Master of Engineering in Materials Science and Engineering and 34 credits for Master of Engineering in Material Engineering). The students from TUOa shou ld have basic knowledge of China and obey the policy of Graduates Students Handbook and other policies in China while studying at Tongji University. At TU Darmstadt, the students sha ll study according to the program “Materials Science with Degree Master of Science”. The full description of the teaching units is defined in t he module guide of the Materials Science program. The General Examination Regulations of TU Darmstadt (Allgemeine Prilfungsbestimmungen) apply. Unless otherwise specified in the Specific Cooperation Agreement, course structure, exams and grading follow the ru les of the Implementation Regulations (AusfUhrungsbestimmungen) and the study regulations of the study program Materials Science. Admission follows §1 Candidates' selection of the specific agreement. The following certificates are equivalent to C1:CET6 425, or pass the language interview held by TU Darmstadt, language certificate at UNlcert-Level lll in English, TOEFL test (paper 570, cb 230, iBT 88), IELTS 6.5, CAE (Grade Cl), or TOEIC 792. Tongji students are exempt from the admission requirement of an industrial or research placement at TU Darmstadt. Teaching units at the partner university replace teaching units at the home university as indicated in the list of teaching units below. TUDa students can replace up to 6 CP (graded) in the area Elective Courses in Materials Science with Chinese language courses (Elective Courses not Materials Science). Tongji students can replace up to 6 CP in the area Elective Courses in Materials Science with German language courses (graded).