FAME European Master in Materials Science
International Master degree in partnership with seven universities
A training program for specialists of the functionalized advanced materials domain, a strategic technology recognized as a key driver for European research and industry.
Application deadline for the scholarship worth up to 49.000€ is 15. January!
Applicants not requesting a scholarship have to apply before 15th April and are informed at the end of May.
FAME+ Modules chart for Module 1 and Module 2 can be found here.
1. What is Erasmus Mundus program
Erasmus Mundus is a program launched by the European Commission to promote the cooperation and mobility in higher education.
It is an unique opportunity to offer attractive scholarships to European and non-European students in a multicultural environment.
2. Objectives of the FAME Master
- Provide high-level academic and research-oriented education about the synthesis, characterisation and processing of all classes of materials,with special emphasis on Nanomaterials, Hybrids and Ceramics,
- Offer mobility during the two-year master program to take advantage of the complementary skills of the universities in the network,
- Prepare the students for entering a Ph.D. program in Europe or elsewhere for instance in one of the FAME network laboratories.
3. Who can apply?
Candidates should be graduated with BSc. in Materials Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Electrochemistry or related topics. Equivalences may be given for 180 ECTS successful studies in these topics.
4. Scholarship amount and contribution to EMMC
|Type||Total (max. scholarship)|
|CAT A = Non European students||49.000 EUR for 2 years|
|CAT B = European students||34.000 EUR for 2 years|
|Scholars = Researchers / Teachers||1.200 EUR per week (for min. 2 weeks and max. 3 months)|
5 . Tuition fees (participation costs)
- 4000€ per year for EU students
- 9000€ per year for non EU students
Remind that for Erasmus Mundus scholarship holders this cost is covered by the scholarship.
6. Program details of the FAME Master
- A two-year education program (120 ECTS) taught in English in Advanced Materials Science within 7 European universities (Belgium, France, Germany and Portugal)
- The 7 partners institutions host world-renowned leading research laboratories in the field of Advanced Materials Science,
- Associated partners from research and industry playing an active role in the definition of students’ Master Thesis, and through seminars or career advice,
- Courses taught by distinguished professors and researchers of international reputation, as well as Erasmus Mundus scholars,
- EMMI (European Multifunctional Materials Institute) offering services such as jobs, training schools, e-learning website, online databases of know how, is a unique structure in Europe integrating Education, Collaborative Research and sound contacts with Industry (www.emmi-materials.eu, https://applicationform.grenoble-inp.fr/FSA/118/).
7. Mobility scheme
- Mobility between year 1 and 2 in at least two institutions from different countries,
- 3 semesters within the Consortium universities + 1 semester for the Master Thesis in an European research laboratory or among the associated partners.
8. Final degree awarded
A Double Master degree in ‘Materials Science’ awarded by the two Consortium universities where the students have studied. (Joint Degree in progress)
9. Application procedure
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships are awarded by the European Commission to the best candidates. To be selected, an applicant must have earned a Bachelor’s degree in Science (Physics, Chemistry, Metallurgy, Materials Science, Electrochemistry) or its equivalent within the year of application. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their Bachelor’s degrees are awarded before they enrol. Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their prior performance and professional promise, as evidenced by academic records and letters of reference from individuals familiar with their capabilities. As all the courses will be taught in English, students whose native language is not English must pass TOEFL* or IELTS** prior to applying to the Master. (*Test Of English as a Foreign Language **International English Language Testing System)
- for students applying for scholarship: Mid January each year
- for other students (own finance): end of May each year
- Application form and transcripts
- 2 reference forms
- English certificate
10. Application of “scholars” (invited professors)
- for scholars: before end of February each year
11. Career opportunities
- Work as scientist or R&D engineer in industry
- Carry on as PhD
PhD opportunities are offered within the International Doctoral School in Functional Materials (IDS-FunMat), the Erasmus Mundus Doctorate Program